How To Protect Your Basement Storage
While you may not use the items you store in your basement every day, odds are high they have some significant sentimental value. From the old photos of your parents to the holiday decorations you have hung every year since your kids were little, there is a reason you have hung on to all of this stuff you seldom use. That is why it is important to protect it.
To help your bolster protection around the belongings you store in your basement, here are a few tips.
- Protecting Your Photos: To help protect your photos against the moisture in your basement, make sure you use a dehumidifier. Also, store each photo in a plastic enclosure from uncoated polyester, polyethylene, or polypropylene to keep them in good shape.
- Store In A Safe: Replacing your social security card, passport, and other important documents like that is a huge hassle. Avoid this waste of time by keeping your most important documents in a fireproof, waterproof safe. This is a great place to keep birth certificates and savings bonds, too.
- Do It Digitally: You can further protects your photos and documents by scanning them and storing them digitally. By keeping an archive safely in the cloud where no physical disaster can reach it, you ensure you always have a backup.
- Safeguarding Seasonal Décor: When you store your holiday décor, put it in a plastic bin that would protect its contents in a couple inches of water or store the boxes off of the ground.
The good news is that should something happen to the belongings you have in basement storage, your homeowners insurance can step in to cover the financial cost of the loss (up to your policy limits). To learn more about how your coverage can protect your personal property, contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas today.
Your Teen’s Road To Becoming A Licensed Driver
As a parent, your son or daughter nearing the age of driving permits is both exciting and scary. Certainly, you will be glad to have your schedule cleared of the endless carpool cycle, but you will probably be a little nervous about your young driver out on the road.
So is the state, and that is why they have implemented an intermediate license. Before teens can get even get this license, they will need to secure their learner’s permits. They can do this by taking a driver’s education course that will equip them to pass their written exam. By bringing their Texas Driver’s Education Certificate, a verification of enrollment and attendance in school, and an Application for Texas Driver’s License and passing the written exam and eye test, they can walk away from the test with a learner’s permit.
Once the permit has been secured, it is time for the young driver to log 30 hours of supervised drive time. 10 of those hours need to be at night.
With that experience and six months of holding a learner’s permit, the teen is ready to take his or her driving test. Once passed, he or she receives an intermediate license, allowing for solo driving between 5:00 a.m. and midnight and one passenger under 21 who is not a family member. This becomes a full license once the driver turns 18.
You can get a full checklist of your teen’s road to becoming licensed from the DMV here.
Do you want to talk to an expert about how to protect your son or daughter out on the road? Then do not wait to contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis. Our staff of Texas auto insurance experts has over 100 years of combined experience protecting drivers of all ages and skills on the road. For all of your coverage needs in the Austin area, call us today!
Thwart Thieves With This Guide
Your home provides refuge from the world. It safeguards you against storms, keeps pests away, and provides a safe location for you to store all of your personal property. That is, until a thief breaks into your home. To ensure your home continues to be a place of safe keeping, use these tips for increasing your security as a homeowner.
- Keep It Clean: The more overhanging tree limbs, overgrown shrubbery, and untrimmed gardens you have on your property, the more hiding places you offer to thieves who are hoping to get a closer look at your house without getting spotted. Not only will keeping your landscaping trimmed keep your home looking tidy, it will also deter thieves.
- Install An Alarm: A home security system can offer you significant peace of mind. It will bring the police to your home if triggered, making sure you get an immediate response if you do face a robbery. Plus, installing this kind of system can help you save on your homeowners insurance!
- Strengthen Windows: Breakable glass provides an easy point of entry for a determined burglar. Consider installing shatterproof glass or at least adding security film to your windows to make it more difficult for thieves to gain entry through your windows. While thinking about your glass, pop a security bar in your sliding door, too.
Unfortunately, even with all of these efforts a tricky thief might make it into your home. Would your homeowners insurance be enough to protect your quality of life after a major theft? To talk to the Austin experts about your coverage, contact Dean Davis Insurance. The entire team at the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis is ready to help you get the right Texas homeowners insurance policy so that theft never has to worry your family.
A Tasty Event Is Coming Up!
All month long, you have the chance to enjoy a delicious meal paired with the warm feeling you get for giving back. That is because July brings us the Go Texan Restaurant Round-Up. During this great event, you have the chance to support restaurants that are serving food sourced from local growers, producers, and ranchers while also supporting local food banks.
All you have to do to get involved in the Go Texan Restaurant Roundup to find a local participating restaurant. Some restaurants will be serving their local-focused menu all month, while others will be hosting special events highlighting local dishes. You can drink your support, too, as a number of participants will be pouring local wine and beer!
Supporting your local food sources is not the only benefit of the Restaurant Round-Up. By dining at participating restaurants, you also support their efforts to benefit their local food banks. Each restaurants will be hosting either an event (e.g. a can drive) or a menu feature that will give directly back to their food bank.
There is yet another benefit of participating in the Round-Up! If you do and you complete their survey, you can be entered to win an overnight stay, winery tour, and breakfast at Messina Hof Winery & Resort.
With so many great benefits that can impact your state, your local community, and even your family, there is no reason not to take advantage of the 2015 Go Texan Restaurant Round-Up!
We hope you have a great time supporting a great cause at this delicious event. To work with a team that cares about our local community, contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis today. Serving Austin and the surrounding Texas area, our family-owned-and-operated business stands ready to protect your own family. For all of your insurance needs, call us today!