Your Teen’s Road To Becoming A Licensed Driver
As a parent, your son or daughter nearing the age of driving permits is both exciting and scary. Certainly, you will be glad to have your schedule cleared of the endless carpool cycle, but you will probably be a little nervous about your young driver out on the road.
So is the state, and that is why they have implemented an intermediate license. Before teens can get even get this license, they will need to secure their learner’s permits. They can do this by taking a driver’s education course that will equip them to pass their written exam. By bringing their Texas Driver’s Education Certificate, a verification of enrollment and attendance in school, and an Application for Texas Driver’s License and passing the written exam and eye test, they can walk away from the test with a learner’s permit.
Once the permit has been secured, it is time for the young driver to log 30 hours of supervised drive time. 10 of those hours need to be at night.
With that experience and six months of holding a learner’s permit, the teen is ready to take his or her driving test. Once passed, he or she receives an intermediate license, allowing for solo driving between 5:00 a.m. and midnight and one passenger under 21 who is not a family member. This becomes a full license once the driver turns 18.
You can get a full checklist of your teen’s road to becoming licensed from the DMV here.
Do you want to talk to an expert about how to protect your son or daughter out on the road? Then do not wait to contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis. Our staff of Texas auto insurance experts has over 100 years of combined experience protecting drivers of all ages and skills on the road. For all of your coverage needs in the Austin area, call us today!
Thwart Thieves With This Guide
Your home provides refuge from the world. It safeguards you against storms, keeps pests away, and provides a safe location for you to store all of your personal property. That is, until a thief breaks into your home. To ensure your home continues to be a place of safe keeping, use these tips for increasing your security as a homeowner.
- Keep It Clean: The more overhanging tree limbs, overgrown shrubbery, and untrimmed gardens you have on your property, the more hiding places you offer to thieves who are hoping to get a closer look at your house without getting spotted. Not only will keeping your landscaping trimmed keep your home looking tidy, it will also deter thieves.
- Install An Alarm: A home security system can offer you significant peace of mind. It will bring the police to your home if triggered, making sure you get an immediate response if you do face a robbery. Plus, installing this kind of system can help you save on your homeowners insurance!
- Strengthen Windows: Breakable glass provides an easy point of entry for a determined burglar. Consider installing shatterproof glass or at least adding security film to your windows to make it more difficult for thieves to gain entry through your windows. While thinking about your glass, pop a security bar in your sliding door, too.
Unfortunately, even with all of these efforts a tricky thief might make it into your home. Would your homeowners insurance be enough to protect your quality of life after a major theft? To talk to the Austin experts about your coverage, contact Dean Davis Insurance. The entire team at the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis is ready to help you get the right Texas homeowners insurance policy so that theft never has to worry your family.
Insurance Coverage Basics
Millions of Americans are living in homes with multiple generations of their family. While this may not be an uncommon situation, it may create a special situation for your home insurance policy. Knowing how to protect your home and family with the right home insurance coverage can help to ensure that you are covered from any situation that you may face.
- Personal property coverage – with more people living in one house, it means that there will be more belongings to cover. You should consider increasing the personal property portion of your homeowners insurance policy, and updating your home inventory to make sure that you have the coverage that you deserve.
- Dwelling coverage – if you have added on any additions to your house to better accommodate your family, you will need to increase the dwelling coverage of your homeowners insurance policy. The more square footage your home has, the more protection you will need to make sure that you will be able to rebuild your home if it is a complete loss.
- Flood insurance – while your homeowners insurance policy will provide coverage for many perils, it will not provide any coverage for rising waters. With the recent floods all over the state, it has never been more important to make sure that you are covered with the right flood insurance policy.
- Umbrella insurance – even if you increase all of your insurance policies, it still may not provide enough coverage. With new lawsuits filed every day, your chances of being sued for any issue continues to rise. A personal umbrella insurance policy will provide the extra liability insurance coverage that you need to protect your family and finances from any accident.
For all of your insurance coverage needs, contact Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to make sure that all of your insurance policies are working their best for your needs.
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Options
With the early spring flood waters receded, it is the perfect time to start enjoying the warm weather by jumping on your motorcycle! Before you strap on your helmet and buckle your boots, it is important to make sure that you are covered with the right motorcycle insurance policy. Keep these coverage basics in mind when looking for the right coverage for your specific needs.
- Collision – if you are involved in an accident with another vehicle, the collision portion of your motorcycle insurance policy will pay for the damages to your bike, after you pay your deductible.
- Liability – any property damage or personal injury that you cause to another person during an accident that is your fault, your liability coverage will cover the cost of the medical bills or repair bills. It is important to keep in mind that your liability coverage will not provide any protection for your own injuries or bike.
- Comprehensive – sometimes known as “other than collision” coverage, comprehensive coverage will pay for any damages that are done to your bike in an incident other than an accident, such as theft, fire, or falling objects.
- Personal injury protection – also known as PIP, this coverage will pay for the medical bills of you and any passengers who are injured during an accident, no matter who is found to be at fault. It will also pay for any funeral costs or lost wages that are incurred during the accident. Keep in mind that it will not provide any coverage for injuries that you cause to other drivers.
When looking for the right motorcycle insurance coverage, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. We will work with you to make sure that you have the protection that you deserve, all at the right price to fit your budget.
Prepare For Your Life Insurance Medical Exam
When you are looking for the right life insurance coverage, it is not uncommon for your insurance company to require a medical exam. While they may seem bothersome, they help your insurance company gather important information that they need to decide on your insurance premiums. In general, the healthier you are, the lower your premiums will be. Consider these common issues that may show up in your medical exam that can make you look unhealthier than you really are.
- False positives – if your medical exam will include a drug test, there are some foods that you should stay away from to ensure that you do not get a false positive. Drinking tea that contains coca leaves can lead to a false positive for cocaine, while eating poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates.
- Temporary high blood pressure – you may want to skip on your morning coffee before you head to your medical exam. Having too much caffeine before your exam can make your blood pressure seem like it is much higher than it actually is.
- Dehydration – make sure to drink plenty of fluids beforehand so that you can give a good urine exam. When your body does not have enough water, it will not feel or look as healthy as it really is.
- Drinking and smoking – alcohol and cigarettes can show up as depressants and stimulants on your medical exam, which could be indicators of more serious kidney problems. Avoid drinking or smoking before your exam to help keep your numbers where they should be.
When looking for the right life insurance policy that will best fit with your needs, contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas. We will work with you to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage, all at the right price.
Insurance Terms 101
Deciding on the right auto insurance policy can be much easier said than done, especially when it comes time to understanding the various auto insurance terms. Keep this simple guide in mind to help make sure that you choose the best auto insurance policy for your specific needs.
- Comprehensive – sometimes called “other than collision coverage,” comprehensive coverage will provide protection for damage that is done to your vehicle in an incident other than a crash, such as theft or fire. While comprehensive coverage is not a required coverage, it can help to save you hundreds or thousands of dollars.
- Property damage liability insurance – if you hit another car or any other piece of property, such as a mailbox, your property damage liability insurance will cover the cost of the damages. Keep in mind that property damage liability will not provide any protection for damage that is done to your car during the accident.
- Bodily injury liability insurance – this coverage option is required by law, and will provide coverage for any injuries that you cause to another driver during an accident. It is important to remember that bodily injury liability protection will not cover your medical bills if you are injured.
- Deductibles – your deductible is the amount that you will have to pay out of your own pocket before your auto insurance coverage will kick in, so make sure that you choose a deductible that you will be able to afford.
For all of your auto insurance needs, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for your needs, all at the right price to fit your budget.
Looking at your finances can be a little confusing. Along with making sure that your finances are on track with your lifestyle, it is important to make sure that you have all the necessary documents to keep your finances in check. Make sure to collect these documents to keep your bank account under control.
- Beneficiary forms – your beneficiary forms will dictate who will receive the death benefit of your life insurance policy after you pass away, even if it is not included in your will. Having the right beneficiary forms will help to ensure that your life insurance policy does not have to go into probate.
- Living will – having a living will is the best way to communicate your medical preferences to your loved ones in case you fall ill. Living wills will help your loved ones make any tough decisions regarding your health if something were to happen to you. Keep in mind that you will have to choose a health care proxy in your living will, who is someone who will be responsible for carrying out your wishes.
- TOD/POD instructions – another way to transfer assets to a beneficiary without a will is with a TOD, transfer on death, or POD, payable on death. PODs are typically linked to your bank account, while TODs are linked to any brokerage accounts that you hold that do not have any other beneficiary form.
- Power of attorney – if you are no longer able to make your own decisions concerning health care and legal affairs, your power of attorney will give someone else the right to make the decisions.
For more finance protections tips, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. We can help with all of your financial needs to ensure that you stay financially sound.