Resolve to be smarter with your insurance policies and coverage in the upcoming year.
The impending new year is a time when many people pledge to lose weight, save more money, and become more organized! However, mid-year (or mid-January, depending on how determined you are), exercise equipment gathers dust and bank savings are depleted. These are familiar signs of the way New Year’s resolutions are often quickly abandoned!
There are a few resolutions that you’ll not only want to make but be cautious about – insurance policies! With a review of your insurance policies, you can highlight ways to save money, gaps in coverage, to become better protected, and have faultless peace of mind!
To make 2016 your best year yet, here are some New Year’s resolutions to help you fine-tune your insurance policies:
Check to See if You Qualify for Discounts to Lower Your Premium
Premiums are calculated on the level of risk an insurance company must take to provide you with coverage, but there are steps you may be able to take to reduce those risks.
- Auto insurance: If your teen driver uses your car, they could qualify for a Good Student Discount. If you’re a good driver, you may qualify for Good Driver Discount.
- Homeowners insurance: Even installing a burglar alarm can lower your premiums!
- Life insurance: Have you recently quit smoking? You may find that this lowers your monthly payout.
Make/Update Your Home Inventory
A comprehensive home inventory catalogue allows your home and belongings to be recovered, rebuilt and replaced after a loss. Include your precious presents that you received over the holidays in your homeowners insurance for protection.
Patch Up Gaps in Coverage
One of the quickest ways to make your heart sink is to file a claim after a loss then find out that you don’t have the right coverage. Certain high-value items exceed homeowners insurance coverage, leaving them vulnerable. Some damages to your home are excluded in your homeowners insurance: flood and earthquake damages. Talk to your local insurance agent to see where your gaps in coverage are!
A New Year is a new start and a time to start over. Committing yourself to these resolutions can help provide you with the peace of mind, protection, and save you money! Contact Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas for your insurance needs!
Thwart Thieves With This Guide
Your home provides refuge from the world. It safeguards you against storms, keeps pests away, and provides a safe location for you to store all of your personal property. That is, until a thief breaks into your home. To ensure your home continues to be a place of safe keeping, use these tips for increasing your security as a homeowner.
- Keep It Clean: The more overhanging tree limbs, overgrown shrubbery, and untrimmed gardens you have on your property, the more hiding places you offer to thieves who are hoping to get a closer look at your house without getting spotted. Not only will keeping your landscaping trimmed keep your home looking tidy, it will also deter thieves.
- Install An Alarm: A home security system can offer you significant peace of mind. It will bring the police to your home if triggered, making sure you get an immediate response if you do face a robbery. Plus, installing this kind of system can help you save on your homeowners insurance!
- Strengthen Windows: Breakable glass provides an easy point of entry for a determined burglar. Consider installing shatterproof glass or at least adding security film to your windows to make it more difficult for thieves to gain entry through your windows. While thinking about your glass, pop a security bar in your sliding door, too.
Unfortunately, even with all of these efforts a tricky thief might make it into your home. Would your homeowners insurance be enough to protect your quality of life after a major theft? To talk to the Austin experts about your coverage, contact Dean Davis Insurance. The entire team at the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis is ready to help you get the right Texas homeowners insurance policy so that theft never has to worry your family.
Insurance Coverage Basics
Millions of Americans are living in homes with multiple generations of their family. While this may not be an uncommon situation, it may create a special situation for your home insurance policy. Knowing how to protect your home and family with the right home insurance coverage can help to ensure that you are covered from any situation that you may face.
- Personal property coverage – with more people living in one house, it means that there will be more belongings to cover. You should consider increasing the personal property portion of your homeowners insurance policy, and updating your home inventory to make sure that you have the coverage that you deserve.
- Dwelling coverage – if you have added on any additions to your house to better accommodate your family, you will need to increase the dwelling coverage of your homeowners insurance policy. The more square footage your home has, the more protection you will need to make sure that you will be able to rebuild your home if it is a complete loss.
- Flood insurance – while your homeowners insurance policy will provide coverage for many perils, it will not provide any coverage for rising waters. With the recent floods all over the state, it has never been more important to make sure that you are covered with the right flood insurance policy.
- Umbrella insurance – even if you increase all of your insurance policies, it still may not provide enough coverage. With new lawsuits filed every day, your chances of being sued for any issue continues to rise. A personal umbrella insurance policy will provide the extra liability insurance coverage that you need to protect your family and finances from any accident.
For all of your insurance coverage needs, contact Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to make sure that all of your insurance policies are working their best for your needs.
Keep Austin Weird Fest and 5K
There is no place in the world quite like Austin, and we like it that way! To help embrace all that makes Austin special, you will not want to miss out on the Keep Austin Weird Fest and 5K. Make sure to mark your calendar for June 27th so that you do not miss out on one of the most looked forward to events in the area.
The Fest will start at 1:30 p.m. at The Long Center Grounds. Tickets for the event are just $12 for adults, and children 12 and under are free. For every pass that is sold, $1 will be donated to the Capital Area Food Bank, which helps to feed thousands of people in need in the community. All the funds that are raised from the celebrity dunking booth, which will be filled with Stubb’s BBQ Sauce this year, will also go towards the Capital Area Food Bank. You can also bring a canned food donation when you come to the event to donate!
The 5K will start at 7 p.m. at Riverside Drive that is North of The Long Center Grounds. The 5K is the slowest run on the planet, and everyone is invited to dress up in their weirdest costume to run around the city. There are 10 outrageous stops on the route to help slow you down even more! Tickets for the run are $25 for adults and $15 for kids.
Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas would like to invite you and your family out to enjoy all that the Keep Austin Weird Fest and 5K has to offer this year!
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Options
With the early spring flood waters receded, it is the perfect time to start enjoying the warm weather by jumping on your motorcycle! Before you strap on your helmet and buckle your boots, it is important to make sure that you are covered with the right motorcycle insurance policy. Keep these coverage basics in mind when looking for the right coverage for your specific needs.
- Collision – if you are involved in an accident with another vehicle, the collision portion of your motorcycle insurance policy will pay for the damages to your bike, after you pay your deductible.
- Liability – any property damage or personal injury that you cause to another person during an accident that is your fault, your liability coverage will cover the cost of the medical bills or repair bills. It is important to keep in mind that your liability coverage will not provide any protection for your own injuries or bike.
- Comprehensive – sometimes known as “other than collision” coverage, comprehensive coverage will pay for any damages that are done to your bike in an incident other than an accident, such as theft, fire, or falling objects.
- Personal injury protection – also known as PIP, this coverage will pay for the medical bills of you and any passengers who are injured during an accident, no matter who is found to be at fault. It will also pay for any funeral costs or lost wages that are incurred during the accident. Keep in mind that it will not provide any coverage for injuries that you cause to other drivers.
When looking for the right motorcycle insurance coverage, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. We will work with you to make sure that you have the protection that you deserve, all at the right price to fit your budget.
Insurance Terms 101
Deciding on the right auto insurance policy can be much easier said than done, especially when it comes time to understanding the various auto insurance terms. Keep this simple guide in mind to help make sure that you choose the best auto insurance policy for your specific needs.
- Comprehensive – sometimes called “other than collision coverage,” comprehensive coverage will provide protection for damage that is done to your vehicle in an incident other than a crash, such as theft or fire. While comprehensive coverage is not a required coverage, it can help to save you hundreds or thousands of dollars.
- Property damage liability insurance – if you hit another car or any other piece of property, such as a mailbox, your property damage liability insurance will cover the cost of the damages. Keep in mind that property damage liability will not provide any protection for damage that is done to your car during the accident.
- Bodily injury liability insurance – this coverage option is required by law, and will provide coverage for any injuries that you cause to another driver during an accident. It is important to remember that bodily injury liability protection will not cover your medical bills if you are injured.
- Deductibles – your deductible is the amount that you will have to pay out of your own pocket before your auto insurance coverage will kick in, so make sure that you choose a deductible that you will be able to afford.
For all of your auto insurance needs, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for your needs, all at the right price to fit your budget.
Looking at your finances can be a little confusing. Along with making sure that your finances are on track with your lifestyle, it is important to make sure that you have all the necessary documents to keep your finances in check. Make sure to collect these documents to keep your bank account under control.
- Beneficiary forms – your beneficiary forms will dictate who will receive the death benefit of your life insurance policy after you pass away, even if it is not included in your will. Having the right beneficiary forms will help to ensure that your life insurance policy does not have to go into probate.
- Living will – having a living will is the best way to communicate your medical preferences to your loved ones in case you fall ill. Living wills will help your loved ones make any tough decisions regarding your health if something were to happen to you. Keep in mind that you will have to choose a health care proxy in your living will, who is someone who will be responsible for carrying out your wishes.
- TOD/POD instructions – another way to transfer assets to a beneficiary without a will is with a TOD, transfer on death, or POD, payable on death. PODs are typically linked to your bank account, while TODs are linked to any brokerage accounts that you hold that do not have any other beneficiary form.
- Power of attorney – if you are no longer able to make your own decisions concerning health care and legal affairs, your power of attorney will give someone else the right to make the decisions.
For more finance protections tips, contact the insurance professionals at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas. We can help with all of your financial needs to ensure that you stay financially sound.