Prep your garden for summer during National Garden Month.
Spring is in the air and that means sunny days and fresh, blooming flowers! Many active gardeners and beginner horticulturists make this the time to get their garden looking summer-ready! During April, otherwise known as National Garden Month, you have the perfect opportunity to manicure your lawn, plant the flowers, and freshen the soil!
To get your garden looking its best during National Garden Month, read on for top tips!
- Mow the lawn – This is the easiest way to get your garden looking neat.
- Remove leaves – Remove dead, damaged, and diseased branches from trees to clear up your garden.
- Know your region – Determine where you want to start planting by finding the best patch of soil in your garden. Consider everything from the climate to sun exposure.
- Test the soil – Invest in a soil testing kit to read your garden’s pH and nutrient levels. If your soil is hard or clay-like, it will be difficult for most plants to grow. In this case, add fresh soil, mulch, and compost.
- Start with low-maintenance – Growing vegetables is a fun introduction to gardening as they are quick to grow and easy to maintain. Early success can be encouraging, causing you to move on to more complicated plants.
- Create a plan – Research your plants first to know exactly how big they will get and how to space them out accordingly. Shorter and creeping ones should be planted toward the front and edges of the garden bed, with the taller plants in the back.
- Keep a notebook – Jot down your dreams or inspiration for the garden to keep you motivated to continue. This is also a great way to keep track of garden activity.
- Water accordingly – Give a consistent and ample amount of water. The water will vary from plant to plant.
- Have patience – Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day!
Now that your home and garden are looking in tip-top shape from spring cleaning and spring gardening, be sure to acquire the protection that it deserves. Contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas to get started on your tailored homeowners insurance today!More