There are quite a few things new home buyers should know when they purchase a home. One of the most important things to consider is having an insurance checklist which should be consulted prior to signing on the dotted line. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure your credit is okay – this is crucial and will help with your mortgage rate.
- Make sure you already have a renter’s insurance policy in place – this will make your transition easier when transferring over to homeowners insurance.
- Know where the important agencies in the area are – this includes the fire department, police department and closest hospital.
- Know how far you are to large bodies of water and whether or not the home is in a flood zone.
- Here are some other things to consider: roof condition, age of the home and anticipated repairs, condition of swimming pool if the home has one, and other attachments such as a hot tub, screened-in patio).
- Consider maintenance costs.
- Make sure you get the home inspected.
The best protection you can have when buying a home is doing your research. For more information on protecting your interests in the Austin, Texas area, contact Dean Davis Insurance.