Barbecue season is in full swing! The hot weather means more time spent outdoors with friends and family. Having the perfect BBQ recipe on hand can ensure that you are prepared for any summer time get together. This BBQ Brisket recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone at your next BBQ.
- 1 beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds), with a layer of fat ½ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Rinse the brisket under cold running water and blot it dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the salt, chili powder, sugar, pepper, and cumin and mix with your fingers. Rub the mixture on all sides of the brisket. Wrap the brisket in plastic and let sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of four hours.
- Preheat the charcoal grill on low. When ready to start cooking, place 1-½ cups of hickory or mesquite chips on the coals.
- Place the brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil pan, or make a pan by doubling up heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place the pan in the center of the grill and cover.
- Baste the brisket from time to time with the fat and juices that drip into the pan. Make sure to add 10 to 12 fresh coals and wood chips every hour.
- Cook the brisket until it is tender enough to shred with your fingers, about 6 hours. It may take up to 8 hours depending on the size of the brisket and heat of the grill.
- Remove the brisket from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes. When slicing the brisket, make sure to cut across the grain.
The Insurance Agency of Dean Davis, located in Austin, Texas hopes your brisket is the hit of you BBQ. They also encourage you to contact them for all your insurance needs.More