From got-your-back navigation tools to the best bathroom-pit-stop finders, download these handy apps!
Does your family have a road trip planned? Perhaps you and your buddies are hitting the open road soon? Whether it’s a spring getaway or a summer vacation, there’s a certain amount of planning that every driver should do.
Before you venture off into the distance, install these apps on your smartphone! Not only can they save you a bundle of time on the road, but it ensures the seamless getaway that you’ve always wanted.
Waze: The king of navigation apps, Waze offers multiple routes, real-time traffic updates, notifications about speed traps, and the power to compare gas station prices around you. It’s updated by regular drivers and is available for iPhone, Android, and Windows phones. If the traffic ahead is predicted to have you sitting on the freeway for hours, the app will automatically re-route you so you avoid it!
Along the Way: This is the perfect guide for planning a trip in an unfamiliar territory. You can find parks, bars, shops, and landmarks along your route without detouring and excessively wandering!
Songza: Limited with your iPod and Pandora’s music station? Songza allows you to search for music and playlists based on your mood, genre, artist, activity, or decade. The playlists can be whittled down to specific feelings (think “driving in the second lane”), so be sure to grab this app for the perfect soundtrack!
H-D Ride Planner: For all those motorcyclists out there, we haven’t forgotten you! Plan your route and select the scenic terrain with this app. It allows you to sync it to your dash-mounted GPS device for easy access and safe riding.
Whatever your road trip plans, be sure to review your auto insurance coverage before heading out on your travels! Securing a reliable policy will keep your family, finances, vehicles covered! Contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas today to get started on your policy!
A Tasty Event Is Coming Up!
All month long, you have the chance to enjoy a delicious meal paired with the warm feeling you get for giving back. That is because July brings us the Go Texan Restaurant Round-Up. During this great event, you have the chance to support restaurants that are serving food sourced from local growers, producers, and ranchers while also supporting local food banks.
All you have to do to get involved in the Go Texan Restaurant Roundup to find a local participating restaurant. Some restaurants will be serving their local-focused menu all month, while others will be hosting special events highlighting local dishes. You can drink your support, too, as a number of participants will be pouring local wine and beer!
Supporting your local food sources is not the only benefit of the Restaurant Round-Up. By dining at participating restaurants, you also support their efforts to benefit their local food banks. Each restaurants will be hosting either an event (e.g. a can drive) or a menu feature that will give directly back to their food bank.
There is yet another benefit of participating in the Round-Up! If you do and you complete their survey, you can be entered to win an overnight stay, winery tour, and breakfast at Messina Hof Winery & Resort.
With so many great benefits that can impact your state, your local community, and even your family, there is no reason not to take advantage of the 2015 Go Texan Restaurant Round-Up!
We hope you have a great time supporting a great cause at this delicious event. To work with a team that cares about our local community, contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis today. Serving Austin and the surrounding Texas area, our family-owned-and-operated business stands ready to protect your own family. For all of your insurance needs, call us today!
Pecan Street Festival
The Pecan Street Festival is the perfect way to enjoy the weekend! The two day event that runs from the 2nd to the 3rd is one of the longest running and largest music and arts and crafts festivals in the country. You will not want to miss out on all that this event has to offer, so make sure to plan a whole weekend that the family can enjoy together.
The seven blocks of 6th Street that fall between IH 35 and Congress are some of the most well-known streets in all of Texas, and has become the heart of Austin’s live entertainment scene. When Edwin Waller designed Austin’s street grid, he named the streets that run north-south after rivers in Texas, and then recommended a numeric designation for streets that run east-west. However, his idea was shut down, and the east-west streets were named after trees. A few years later, that decision was also reversed, and the streets were renamed with numbers, which transformed Pecan Street to Sixth Street. The long running festival is meant to honor the original name of the street.
The street is still lined with many commercial buildings and historical houses that date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. Many of the old buildings are now home to various bars, tattoo parlors, live entertainment venues, casual cafes, art galleries, upscale restaurants, and the Driskill Hotel.
All of the money that is raised during the event helps to directly support the Pecan Street Association efforts to keep the 6th Street district a historical landmark for many years.
All of us at Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas would like to invite you and your friends and family out for all the fun that surrounds the Pecan Street Festival this year!
ABC Zilker Kite Festival
As February comes to an end, it is the perfect time to look for fun, family friendly events in the local area. Make sure to mark your calendar for the 86th Annual ABC Zilker Kite Festival on March 1st!
The Kite Festival is the perfect way to kick off spring and is fun for people of all ages. The event is taking place at the beautiful Zilker Park in Central Austin, and is free for everyone to attend. All the proceeds from the event help to benefit Community In Schools of Central Texas.
Even though the Kite Festival is always free, for a small donation, you can enjoy extra perks at The Maudie’s Kite Fest Breakfast. A ticket for the Maudie’s Kite Fest Breakfast allows you to get VIP parking in Zilker Park, hot coffee provided by Wanderlust Coffee Truck, a catered hot breakfast provided by Austin’s Maudie’s Tex-Mex, a collectible official Kite Fest kite, a swag bag filled with a cap, shirt, and samples, early access to the park, and much more. The delicious breakfast that is offered by Maudie’s Tex-Mex gives you a choice of two tacos or one taco and one pancake. CLIF Bar, ABC Home & Commercial Services, and Culver’s will be providing all the swag bags.
If it rains on the day of the event, all the fun and festivities will be moved to March 8th.
All of us at the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas would like to invite you and your family out to enjoy all the excitement of the ABC Zilker Kite Festival!
Happy Thanksgiving from Dean Davis Insurance! If you are traveling this holiday, it is important to make sure you know how to protect your home and family. Keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind to ensure that the whole family has a fun and safe Thanksgiving.
- Remove any objects that could be used to get into your home. If you used a ladder to clean out your rain gutters, make sure it is safely put away so that nobody can use it to get into a window.
- Do not post your travel plans on any social media site, such as Facebook or Twitter. If you do, burglars will know exactly how much time they have to break into your home.
- Turn down the volume of your telephone ringer so that it cannot be heard outside. Check your messages when you are away so it does not look like you are gone.
- Have the post office hold all of your mail so that it does not get delivered to your home while you are away and piles up.
- Do not leave a hidden key in your front yard since burglars know all the best places to look. If you need to leave a key, leave it with a trusted neighbor.
- Lock all of your windows, even the ones on the second story. Also, make sure to cut all tree branches to prevent burglars from climbing into the window.
- Install motion sensor lights to alert neighbors if someone is trying to break into your home.
Most importantly, make sure that you have the right homeowners insurance policy to provide protection in case of any unfortunate event. Contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis in Austin, Texas for all of your homeowners insurance needs.
Now that the weather has cooled down for fall, it is the perfect time to attend fun, local events with all of your friends. Make sure to mark your calendar for these exciting events this weekend.
The Texas Book Festival is going on October 25th and 26th, and is the perfect event for anyone that enjoys a good book and hanging out with like-minded people. The book festival is free to the public and takes place at the State Capitol. The two-day festival has many literary events, such as cocktails with authors, bike ride with authors, and a literary pub-crawl. There are also many other fun activities and events to keep the whole family entertained, including food trucks, live music, family activities, and more! As one of the most prestigious and largest literary festivals in the country, people of all ages are sure to enjoy every minute spent there!
If you are looking for more adult activities to enjoy, make sure to check out Austin Beer Week 2014. The week starts on October 24th and goes through November 2nd to ensure that you are able to taste all of the delicious craft beers. The 10-day event is full of many fun activities, including daily tastings, beer and food pairings, beer dinners, and more at different venues throughout the area. There will also be contests, festivals, and educational experiences to enjoy. The venues and times change each day, so make sure to stay up to date with all the latest news about Austin Beer Week to ensure that you do not miss out!
Dean Davis Insurance in Austin, Texas would like to invite you and your loved ones to both of these fun and exciting events this fall.
With the end of summer quickly approaching, it is time to start thinking about reintroducing safety habits for everyone in your family. The roads can become extremely dangerous as everyone is rushing to get to and from the same place at the same time. It is imperative that we share the road and follow these safety tips:
- As the school bus begins its route for the year, it is time for you to start setting your alarm ten minutes earlier. When a school bus is picking up or dropping children off, you are required by law to stop. Getting out of the house ten minutes earlier each day will allow you to avoid getting stuck behind a slow moving bus en route.
- If you are on a two lane road when a bus stops and puts on their red flashing lights, the drivers in both directions must stop.
- If you are on a one way road with multiple lanes, all lanes are required to stop.
- It is important that you know that school buses are required by law to stop at all railroad crossings. Therefore, if you are passing a railroad crossing with a bus in front of you, expect to stop.
- While these laws are put in place to foster safety, many drivers continue to zoom past school buses to continue their commute. Therefore, it is especially important that you relay some safety guidelines to your children. Inform them to stay out of the danger zone of school buses. Tell your child to take five steps away from the bus stop and wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before boarding the bus.
- Most importantly, stress the importance of looking both ways before crossing. After a long summer, your child is most likely used to your hand guiding them across the street, so it is important to remind them of this lifesaving habit.
Contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis for all of your Austin, Texas insurance needs. We can provide you with the peace of mind you deserve knowing your entire family is receiving adequate protection.