With the end of summer quickly approaching, it is time to start thinking about reintroducing safety habits for everyone in your family. The roads can become extremely dangerous as everyone is rushing to get to and from the same place at the same time. It is imperative that we share the road and follow these safety tips:
- As the school bus begins its route for the year, it is time for you to start setting your alarm ten minutes earlier. When a school bus is picking up or dropping children off, you are required by law to stop. Getting out of the house ten minutes earlier each day will allow you to avoid getting stuck behind a slow moving bus en route.
- If you are on a two lane road when a bus stops and puts on their red flashing lights, the drivers in both directions must stop.
- If you are on a one way road with multiple lanes, all lanes are required to stop.
- It is important that you know that school buses are required by law to stop at all railroad crossings. Therefore, if you are passing a railroad crossing with a bus in front of you, expect to stop.
- While these laws are put in place to foster safety, many drivers continue to zoom past school buses to continue their commute. Therefore, it is especially important that you relay some safety guidelines to your children. Inform them to stay out of the danger zone of school buses. Tell your child to take five steps away from the bus stop and wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before boarding the bus.
- Most importantly, stress the importance of looking both ways before crossing. After a long summer, your child is most likely used to your hand guiding them across the street, so it is important to remind them of this lifesaving habit.
Contact the Insurance Agency of Dean Davis for all of your Austin, Texas insurance needs. We can provide you with the peace of mind you deserve knowing your entire family is receiving adequate protection.More